Northeast Washington Education Council (NEWEC)

NEWEC mini-grants:
Applications are accepted year-round for $250-500 awards that may be used for school supplies, equipment and student enrichment activities. Details and Online Application

*Access previous pdf fillable applicationEither application form is acceptable to submit. 

Mini-grant awardees

$250 to Centennial Middle School for Art Quilt Black History Month project 
$400 to Colfax High School for Dry Garden art/literature project 
$210 to Colton High School to purchase cell phone adaptors for microscopes 
$500 to Oakesdale Elementary, Middle and High Schools for new library books 
$300 to Salk Middle School to purchase snacks for "Be You" after-school program 

$500 to Ness Elementary to hire a professional artist to offer 8 monthly art lessons 
$500 to Central Valley Virtual Learning for students to participate in in-person learning activities

$500 to  Hutton Elementary School for library and classroom Makey Makey STEM kits

$500 to Davenport Elementary School for math facts backpacks
$455 to Spokane Valley High School for Unsung Heroes of COVID gift baskets

$250 to Ness Elementary for mouse and headphone sets for the classroom
$420 to Orchard Center Elementary for EV3 Robotics Kit
$500 to Sprague High School for two MiniOne Electrophoresis machines

The Northeast Washington Education Council is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization whose goal is to advance the educational and public service mission of NorthEast Washington Educational Service District (NEWESD) 101. The Council exists to receive, manage and distribute income and gifts for the benefit of NEWESD 101 and the districts, schools and students it serves.

Focus areas
NEWEC supports all areas of NEWESD focus including, but not limited to, curriculum and instruction (e.g., STEM education, school to work, early childhood, special education, Internet safety, professional development), operations and technical services, business management and educational technology.

Mission statement
The Northeast Washington Education Council will be a vehicle to enhance the ability of NorthEast Washington Educational Service District (NEWESD) 101 to meet the needs of P-12 school districts, students and other learning communities by:

1. Serving as an "umbrella" 501(c)(3) for Eastern Washington schools.

2. Funding programs and services for students such as at-risk, gifted or Career and Technical Education.

3. Providing support to NEWESD 101's outreach programs such as school crisis assistance.

4. Promoting partnerships between business and education.

Pledge form (fillable pdf)


Council's goal: Build opportunity for kids

State "core" funding of ESDs in Washington has been declining for more than a decade. In 2020, "core" funding has totaled only about 5 percent of the overall NEWESD 101 budget. The remaining 95 percent derived from competitive grants, cooperatives and fees for service.

To compensate for declining state revenue in a time of rising need, NEWEC was formed to help diversify and stabilize funding for service to students and schools.

Ways to help

Gifts may be made to the Council in a number of ways including volunteerism, one-time donations, multi-year pledges, matching corporate gifts, endowments and bequests. Gifts options include:

• Cash

• Gifts in-kind (personal property)

• Securities

• Designated United Way donations

The Council is a 501(c)(3) public charity. That is an IRS designation that means the organization is eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions.


NEWEC mission statement

IRS 990-EZ statement, 2020

NEWEC funding guidelines
jQuery(window).load(function(){ //set color for mobile menu in safari $('#menubar #mobileNav').css({ 'background' : '#fff', 'color' : '#4c4c4c' }) })